How often should you be mowing your lawn?
Sometimes there’s always something better to do than spend a portion of your weekend mowing the lawn.
For those that aren’t die hard lawn fanatics, to those that just simply find the thought of having to mow the lawn all the time as a massive annoyance, recent weather conditions will have you cursing the dreaded growth rate of your lawn. In many areas across Australia recently, high levels of rain, combined with high humidity have meant that the grass is almost growing in front of your eyes! Some areas have had so much rain that they were unable to get out and mow for a few weeks, even if they wanted to.
If conditions have dried and the lawn is growing rapidly, it is important that you get out there and get on top of it regularly. Just remember it’s only a short amount of time before it will slow down and you can get back to the odd mow here and there when it needs it.
Here’s why you should keep to a regular routine and mow your lawn when it needs it.
- Consistent mowing heights allow for consistent nutrients within the grass, helping your lawn look the same throughout.
- Leaving your lawn too long can block out the sun from reaching the undergrowth and can lead to die off from below.
- Letting your lawn get too long actually ends up causing you to mow your lawn more often! When you do finally mow, you are taking off more of the leaf which will stress your lawn. Once the lawn gets quite long, don’t take more than a third of the leaf off at a time. You have to mow off a third, wait a few days and then mow again to get it back to the optimal height. So, sticking to the one third rule is extremely important in maintaining a healthy lawn.
- The mower may have difficulty cutting down the tall grass even with an increased blade height, so it will be a much more difficult task.
- A lawn that isn’t mowed regularly to the recommended height is often less healthy than a manicured lawn.
- A lawn full of weak grass is more susceptible to disease, pests and weeds.
By sticking to a regular mowing and lawn maintenance routine, your lawn will be healthier and be less likely to develop problems that will only cost you more time and money in the long run.